Fourteenth Dalai Lama Series
You make the path that combines emptiness and compassion grow clearer and clearer,
Lord of the teachings and beings in the Snowy Land of Tibet,
To you, the Lotus Holder Tenzin Gyatso,
We pray: may all your wishes be spontaneously fulfilled!
Texts by and about His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso (bstan 'dzin rgya mtsho, b. 1935):
- A Prayer to Kindle the Three Faiths, Addressed to the Seventeen Great Paṇḍitas of Glorious Nālandā | Lineage Prayers
His Holiness himself identified seventeen of the most paṇḍitas associated with Nālandā Monastery (Nāgārjuna, Āryadeva, Buddhapālita, Bhāvaviveka, Candrakīrti, Śāntideva, Śāntarakṣita, Kamalaśīla, Asaṅga, Vasubandhu, Dignāga, Dharmakīrti, Ārya Vimuktisena, Haribhadra, Guṇaprabha, Śākyaprabha and Atiśa) and commissioned a thangka (scroll painting) depicting them. He then composed this prayer to accompany the image in 2001.
- A Yearning Song of Prayer to Invoke the Wisdom Mind of the Compassionate Teacher Padmasambhava | Guru Rinpoche Prayers
This prayer to Guru Padmasambhava, calling upon him to remember his pledge to come to the aid of Tibet and its people, was composed in 1980 at the request of the cabinet of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
- The Melody of The Nectar of Immortality: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, Supreme Victor and Omniscient One by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö | Long Life Prayers
- The Music of Immortality: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö | Long Life Prayers
In this prayer, which he wrote in 1960, shortly after arriving in exile, His Holiness the Dalai Lama invokes all the buddhas and bodhisattvas, especially Avalokiteśvara, and the power of truth itself, in order to bring an end to the turmoil in Tibet so that the Dharma and all aspects of Tibetan culture can flourish there once again.
- The Sage's Harmonious Song of Truth: A Prayer for the Flourishing of the Non-Sectarian Teachings of the Buddha | Aspiration Prayers
At the request of Trulshik Rinpoche (1924–2011) and others, His Holiness composed this prayer for the flourishing of the Buddhist teachings in 1999. It is a non-sectarian (ris med) aspiration extending to all the major and minor traditions of Tibetan Buddhism.
- The Song of Devotion: Verses of Aspiration for the Fulfilment of the Enlightened Vision of Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok, the Reincarnation of Terton Lerab Lingpa | Aspiration Prayers
Shortly after Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok's passing in 2004, His Holiness the Dalai Lama wrote this prayer "so that the enlightened intentions of this great being may be fulfilled completely and to help dispel the anguish of his disciples."