Preliminary Practices & Commentaries
A series of texts, including commentaries, related to the preliminary practices, or ngöndro (sngon 'gro), from various cycles:
Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro
- A Torch for the Path to Omniscience: A Word by Word Commentary to the Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro by Chökyi Drakpa
This word-by-word explanation of the Longchen Nyingtik preliminaries draws upon and summarizes earlier commentaries, especially the most celebrated of them all, Patrul Rinpoche's Words of My Perfect Teacher (Kun bzang bla ma'i zhal lung). Yet Chökyi Drakpa's text is not entirely derivative and its relative brevity makes it ideal as a reminder of the most important points of the practice. This is why some lamas recommend reading and studying it regularly, together with the liturgy (which appears in bold).
- The Excellent Path to Omniscience: The Dzogchen Preliminary Practice of Longchen Nyingtik by Dodrupchen Jigme Trinle Özer
The root text of the outer and inner preliminary (ngöndro) practices from the Longchen Nyingtik. It was compiled by the First Dodrupchen, Jigme Trinle Özer, from the original revelation of Jigme Lingpa and other sources.
- A Profound Concentration of Nectar: Essentialized Stages of Visualization for the Preliminary Practices of the Heart Essence of the Vast Expanse (Longchen Nyingtik) by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- Illuminating the Excellent Path to Omniscience: Notes on the Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
This commentary to the Longchen Nyingtik preliminaries appears alongside the root text. Some of its instructions differ slightly from those of Patrul Rinpoche, so that it represents a distinct commentarial tradition. The text also includes several prayers that were included in Jikmé Trinlé Özer’s original version.
Patrul Rnpoche's explanations in this brief guide to the Longchen Nyingtik preliminary practices mostly follow those given in his classic text, The Words of My Perfect Teacher (Kun bzang bla ma'i zhal lung). Still, this condensed text offers useful reminders of the most important points of the practice, especially the details of the visualizations.
Ngöndro by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro
- A Concise Recitation of the Preliminary Practice according to the New Treasure of Dudjom by Dudjom Rinpoche
- Brief Notes on the Visualization for the Concise Recitation of the Pure Vision Preliminary Practice by Dudjom Rinpoche