Preliminary Practices & Commentaries
A series of texts, including commentaries, related to the preliminary practices, or ngöndro (sngon 'gro), from various cycles:
This concise set of preliminary practices by Shabkar Tsokdruk Rangdrol includes the outer preliminaries, as well as the inner preliminary practices of taking refuge, arousing bodhicitta, visualisation and recitation of Vajrasattva, maṇḍala offering, and guru yoga.
Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro
- A Torch for the Path to Omniscience: A Word by Word Commentary to the Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro by Chökyi Drakpa
This word-by-word explanation of the Longchen Nyingtik preliminaries draws upon and summarizes earlier commentaries, especially the most celebrated of them all, Patrul Rinpoche's Words of My Perfect Teacher (Kun bzang bla ma'i zhal lung). Yet Chökyi Drakpa's text is not entirely derivative and its relative brevity makes it ideal as a reminder of the most important points of the practice. This is why some lamas recommend reading and studying it regularly, together with the liturgy (which appears in bold).
- The Excellent Path to Omniscience: The Dzogchen Preliminary Practice of Longchen Nyingtik arranged by Dodrupchen Jigme Trinle Özer
The root text of the outer and inner preliminary (ngöndro) practices from the Longchen Nyingtik, compiled by the First Dodrupchen, Jigme Trinle Özer, based on the original revelation of Jigme Lingpa and other sources.
- A Profound Concentration of Nectar: Essentialized Stages of Visualization for the Preliminary Practices of the Heart Essence of the Vast Expanse (Longchen Nyingtik) by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
This guide to the stages of visualization for the Longchen Nyingtik preliminary practices (sngon 'gro) is, as Khyentse Wangpo himself puts it, "brief, clear and essential." Some of its instructions differ slightly from those given by Patrul Rinpoche, so that it represents a distinct commentarial tradition.
- Illuminating the Excellent Path to Omniscience: Notes on the Longchen Nyingtik Ngöndro by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
This is a version of A Profound Concentration of Nectar, into which the root text of the Longchen Nyingtik preliminaries has been inserted. The text also includes several prayers that were not included in Jikmé Trinlé Özer’s original version.
Patrul Rnpoche's explanations in this brief guide to the Longchen Nyingtik preliminary practices mostly follow those given in his classic text, The Words of My Perfect Teacher (Kun bzang bla ma'i zhal lung). Still, this condensed text offers useful reminders of the most important points of the practice, especially the details of the visualizations.
Ngöndro by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- The Excellent Path to Enlightenment: A Brief Practice of the Preliminaries by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
Dudjom Tersar Ngöndro
- A Concise Recitation of the Preliminary Practice according to the New Treasure of Dudjom by Dudjom Rinpoche
The root text of the Dudjom Tersar preliminary practices, including the outer preliminaries, i.e., the four contemplations that turn the mind from saṃsāra, and the innre preliminaries of taking refuge, generating bodhicitta, offering the maṇḍala, meditation on Vajrasattva, guru yoga and transference (phowa).
- Brief Notes on the Visualization for the Concise Recitation of the Pure Vision Preliminary Practice by Dudjom Rinpoche