Stages of Meditation Series
Literary Genres › Stages of Meditation
Courtesy of Terton Sogyal Trust
Texts that provide practical, step-by-step instructions on how to meditate on certain topics:
- The Brightly Shining Sun: A Step-by-Step Guide to Meditating on the Bodhicaryāvatāra by Patrul Rinpoche
Patrul Rinpoche was renowned for his mastery of, and fondness for, Śāntideva's classic guide to the way of the bodhisattvas, and this is his practical manual for applying its wisdom and meditating on its key themes.
- The Garland of Jewel Ornaments: The Stages of Meditating on the Bodhicaryāvatāra by Rongtön Sheja Künrig
Belonging to the set of instructions known as the Seven Excellent Interdependent Connections (rten 'brel rab bdun ma), this text by the great Kagyü teacher Pema Karpo (1527–1592) explains meditative equipoise, which is "the dependent arising that gives rise to excellent qualities", and post-meditation, which is the "dependent arising for perfecting the capacity".
- A Step-by-Step Meditation on the Definitive Meaning of the Great Middle Way by Khenpo Petse Rinpoche
The revered Dzogchen teacher Khenchen Pema Tsewang Rinpoche here offers a practical, step-by-step instruction on contemplating individual selfessness and phenomenal identitylessness as a means to to arrive at non-dual wisdom beyond the conceptual mind—the nature of the Great Middle Way.
- Excellent Explanation from the Scriptural Tradition: A Brief Guide to the Stages of Meditating on the General Themes of the Ornament to the Prajñāpāramitā by Patrul Rinpoche
In this practical guide to meditating on the teachings of the Prajñāpāramitā sūtras, as outlined in Maitreya's Abhisamayālaṃkāra, Patrul discusses the attitude and training of a bodhisattva. He repeatedly emphasises the fact that enlightened activity for others' benefit—and not simply realization—is the ultimate goal.
- Feast of Ambrosia: Instructions on Practising Fourfold Emptiness, the Meaning of the Heart of Transcendent Wisdom by Rongtön Sheja Künrig
- Adornment to Invincible Maitreya’s Intent: Stages of Meditation on the Instructions of the Ultimate Continuum of the Great Vehicle (Mahāyānottaratantra) by Rongtön Sheja Künrig