Painted by Drugu Choegyal Rinpoche
Rest in natural great peace
This exhausted mind
Beaten helplessly by karma and neurotic thought
Like the relentless fury of pounding waves
In the infinite ocean of saṃsāra.
A selection of texts related to various forms of meditation (sgom pa; bhāvana) or contemplation, including the cultivation of calm abiding or tranquillity (zhi gnas; śamatha) and insight (lhag mthong; vipaśyanā):
Composed in a single day in 1891, this celebrated verse text offers a practical guide to meditating analytically on the multiplicity, impermanence, suffering nature and selflessness of the aggregates, as an antidote to the mental afflictions (kleśa; nyon mongs).
- The Garland of Jewel Ornaments: The Stages of Meditating on the Bodhicaryāvatāra by Rongtön Sheja Künrig
- From 'Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation': A Guide to Locations for Cultivating Samadhi by Longchen Rabjam
The first chapter of Longchenpa's Finding Comfort and Ease in Meditation (samten ngalso), describing ideal environments and dwelling places for cultivating meditative concentration and insight throughout the year.
Śamatha & Vipaśyanā
- The Sage who Dispels Mind’s Anguish: Advice from the Guru, the Gentle Protector Mañjuśrī on the Means of Accomplishing the Yogas of Śamatha and Vipaśyanā by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche adapted this teaching on śamatha and vipaśyanā from The White Lotus, Mipham Rinpoche's supportive teaching (rgyab chos) for the Treasury of Blessings sādhana of Buddha Śākyamuni. The text explains how to accomplish both śamatha and vipaśyanā in the context of that practice and clarifies the relationship between Buddha Śākyamuni, the yidam deity and the guru.
- The Light of Primordial Wisdom: An Instruction Manual for the Primordially Pure Perfection Stage of the Powerful & Wrathful Dorje Drolö, Conqueror of Demons by Dudjom Rinpoche
This direct instruction on the perfection stage (rdzogs rim) practice for the Dorje Drolö form of Guru Padmasambhava includes the preparatory state of śamatha, and the main part, which is to generate the wisdom of vipaśyanā through view, meditation and action.
- Clarifying the Essence: A Summary of the Instructions on the View of the Middle Way by Rongtön Sheja Künrig
A précis of Rongtön's larger text of instructions on the Middle Way entitled The Moon Rays of Crucial Points, which includes advice on the view, meditation and action that facilitate an understanding of Madhyamaka.