Tertön Sogyal Series
Both Padmasambhava, who embodies all gurus, devas and ḍākinīs,
And your supreme and special deity Vajrakumāra (Vajrakīla),
Hold you close to their hearts; you are the vidyādhara who reveals the profound termas,
Lerab Lingpa, to you I pray!
Texts by and about the famous treasure-revealer and teacher of the Thirteenth Dalai Lama, Tertön Sogyal Lerab Lingpa (gter ston bsod rgyal las rab gling pa, 1856-1926):
- From the Oral Tradition of the Lama of Nyarong by Yukhok Chatralwa Chöying Rangdrol | Retreat & Solitude
- Brief Explanation of Clarification and Transcendental Resolution from the Oral Tradition of Nyala Sogyal by Yukhok Chatralwa Chöying Rangdrol | Dzogchen
This brief explanation of the important Dzogchen notions of clarification (shan 'byed) and transcendental resolution (la blza ba) was composed by Tertön Sogyal and recorded in the collected writings of Yukhok Chatralwa Chöying Rangdrol.
A short guru yoga in which the guru is the embodiment of all lineage masters, especially Samantabhadra, Guru Padmasambhava, Dorje Drolö, Düddul Lingpa, Dudjom Lingpa, Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima and Lerab Lingpa himself. The text remained for many years in the possession of Tulku Dorje Dradül (1891–1959), Dudjom Lingpa's youngest son, and was copied by Kyala Khenpo (1893–1957).
In this guru yoga, a mind terma of Tertön Sogyal, the lama is visualized in the form of Dorje Tötreng Tsal. The text was revealed in association with the Nechung Oracle and it remains a daily practice of Nechung Monastery to this day.
- The Seeds of Faith, A Prayer to the Vidyādhara and Great Tertön Lerab Lingpa by Drimé Ösal Lingpa | Biographies
- The Method to Pacify All Epidemics, Illnesses and Pandemics from the Sixty Solitary Forms of Yamāntaka | Yamāntaka
The 54th of 60 texts in Tertön Sogyal's revelation connected with the 'solitary hero' (ekavīra) form of Yamāntaka, this is a special method for pacifying and healing contagious disease. It is among the rituals being performed by the monks of Larung Gar as a means to eliminate the coronavirus pandemic of 2020.
- The Swift Path to Great Bliss: A Sādhana of Amitābha, Buddha of Limitless Light | Amitābha & Sukhāvatī
Vajra Guru Mantra
This inventory (thems yig) provides key details of the Razor of the Innermost Essence (yang snying spu gri), including a list of all texts in the cycle, and important information for the tertön concerning its revelation.
For this prayer from the Vajrakīla cycle known as Yang Zab Nyingpo (Deepest Heart-Essence), the practitioner assumes the form of the deity Vajrakīla and prays to Guru Padmākara and consort, who are visualized above the head.
These commonly cited verses of commitment (dam bca' ba) occur several times in the Precious Treasury of Revelations (rin chen gter mdzod) and are also to be found in the collected writings of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, Chokgyur Lingpa and Tertön Sogyal. The translation here is based on Mipham's commentary.