Guru Chökyi Wangchuk
From the murals of Shechen Monastery. Used with permission of Rabjam Rinpoche.
Speech emanation of the Dharma King Trisong Detsen, born in Layak in the family of Pangtön,
From Namkhé you revealed the three cycles of a hundred texts and more,
Eighteen major treasures in total, compassionate lord, tamer of beings,
Guru Chökyi Wangchuk, to you I pay homage!
Texts by the famous treasure-revealer Guru Chökyi Wangchuk (gu ru chos kyi dbang phyug, 1212–1270):
This commentary on the Ārya Mañjuśrī Tantra Garbha, which is said to encapsulate the famous Mañjuśrī Nāma Saṃgīti, appears anonymously in the Treasury of Precious Revelations (rin chen gter mdzod), but is thought to have been written by the editor of that collection, Jamgön Kongtrul.
- Emptying the Hells from their Very Depths: The Sovereign Practice for the Confession of all Impairments and Breakages of Vows and all Negative Actions and Obscurations from the revelation of Guru Chökyi Wangchuk | Confession
This practice of confession and fulfilment, popularly known as Narak Kong Shak, was arranged by combining elements of Guru Chökyi Wangchuk’s revelation called Kagye Sangwa Yongdzok together with the Kagye Drakpo Rangjung Rangshar of the Northern Treasures.
- The Dhāraṇīs That Encapsulate the Essence of the Kangyur, the Collected Words of the Buddha revealed by Guru Chökyi Wangchuk | Dhāraṇī
A collection of brief ḍhāraṇīs that are said to encapsulate the essence of the entire Kangyur (bka' 'gyur), or Collected Words of the Buddha, and serve as a powerful means of purification when recited.
- Accomplishing the Lama through the Seven-Line Prayer: A Special Teaching from the Lama Sangdü | Seven-Line Prayer
The original revelation of the Seven-Line Prayer (tshig bdun gsol 'debs), which is the most famous and widely chanted of all invocations of Guru Padmasambhava, and which, according to later commentators, can be understood and practised on multiple levels.
- The Brilliant Essence: The Ritual Manual for the Secret Embodiment of the Guru (Lama Sangdü) by Minling Terchen Gyurme Dorje | Sādhanas
Gyurme Dorje compiled this ritual manual (las byang) for the Secret Embodiment of the Guru (bla ma gsang 'dus) revelation of Guru Chökyi Wangchuk (1212–1270) in order to facilitate elaborate offering practice on each tenth day of the lunar month at Mindrolling Monastery.
- Meeting the Buddha Face to Face: A Pith Instruction on Realizing the Fortress, Ravine, and View of the Practice of Vajrakīla | Vajrakīla
This pith instruction on how to accomplish Vajrakīla (or Vajrakīlaya) was given by Guru Padmasambhava to his closest disciple Khandro Yeshé Tsogyal. Following the Atiyoga approach, the text comments on the oft-quoted verses of the Vajrakīla Root Tantra Fragment (Tōh. 439). This and a short protector offering, also preserved in the Treasury of Revelations (Rinchen Terdzö), are the only two surviving texts from Guru Chöwang’s Vajrakīla revelation.