Thangtong Gyalpo Series
Courtesy of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Great Compassionate One in person, self-arisen Lord of Siddhas,
You revealed many ancient treasures and concealed more for the future,
And, with your miraculous powers, you tamed the most difficult of disciples,
Immortal Thangtong Gyalpo, to you I pay homage!
Texts by and about the great siddha and bridge-builder Thangtong Gyalpo (thang stong rgyal po, 1361?–1485):
- The New Glorious Bestower of Immortality: A Long-Life Practice and Empowerment that Unites the Oral, Treasure and Visionary Teachings by Chöje Lingpa | Longevity
This long-life practice (tshe sgrub) and empowerment (tshe dbang) of Thangtong Gyalpo (1361–1485?) is said to bring together the oral, treasure and visionary teachings. It combines Thangtong Gyalpo's original Glorious Bestower of Immortality ('chi med dpal ster) with Chöjé Lingpa's own treasure revelation and visionary account.
- The Sādhana and Empowerment for the Extremely Close Lineage of the Long-Life Practice that Unites the Oral, Treasure and Visionary Teachings by Chöje Lingpa | Longevity
This pith instruction for accomplishing longevity (tshe sgrub) through Thangtong Gyalpo (1361–1485?) is said to bring together the oral, treasure and visionary teachings. According to its colophon, Chöjé Lingpa received the instruction from Thangtong Gyalpo directly in a vision. Jamgön Kongtrul included the text in the Precious Treasury of Revelations (Rinchen Terdzö).
This prayer to alleviate the terrors of conflict was spoken by the great siddha Thangtong Gyalpo at a time when war ravaged Minyak in eastern Tibet. Such was the power of his words, it is said, the conflict instantly came to an end, and peace and prosperity reigned.
This four-line prayer of taking refuge is known as "Mothers, Infinite as Space" (ma nam mkha' ma'i skyabs 'gro). It was first revealed to Ka Ngapa Paljor Sherab (bka' lnga pa dpal 'byor shes rab), in a vision he had of Avalokiteśvara, and then transmitted to Thangtong Gyalpo, for whom it was intended.
- The Verses that Saved Sakya from Sickness: A Prayer for Pacifying the Fear of Disease | Aspiration Prayers
- Vajra Speech of the Prayer to Noble Avalokiteśvara from the Great Siddha Thangtong Gyalpo's Lifetime as Bhikṣu Padma Karpo recalled by Thangtong Gyalpo | Avalokiteśvara
- Far-Reaching Benefit of Beings, Extensive as the Sky: Visualization and Mantra Recitation of the Great Compassionate One | Avalokiteśvara
One of the most popular Avalokiteśvara liturgies in Tibet, this practice of visualization and mantra recitation for the Great Compassionate One (mahākāruṇika) is attributed to the great adept Thangtong Gyalpo.