Translations by Ryan Jacobson
Ryan Jacobson grew up in a small town in Nebraska but now lives in a quaint mountain village in northern Armenia serving as a Peace Corps volunteer. He holds graduate degrees from Naropa University and the University of Oxford. His curiosities continue to inspire his studies and translations in the hope to open a Tibetan Studies programme in a foreign land.
Texts translated into English by Ryan Jacobson
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
- Wondrous Light of Lunar Nectar: The Biography of Chatral Kunga Palden, a Yogin of the Supreme Vehicle by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
A brief biography of Kunga Palden (1878–1944), one of the main disciples of Orgyen Tendzin Norbu (1841–1900), from whom he is said to have inherited the 'practice lineage' (while Khenpo Shenga inherited the lineage of study). Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, the biography's author, received instruction on tsa-lung yoga and Lama Yangtik from Kunga Palden and also benefitted from the master's kindness after being scalded in a childhood accident.
Do Khyentse Yeshe Dorje
- The Hook Which Invokes the Blessings: A Supplication to the Life and Liberation of Rigdzin Jalü Dorje by Do Khyentse Yeshe Dorje
- The Lineage Prayer for the Natural Liberation of Grasping (Dzinpa Rangdrol) by Do Khyentse Yeshe Dorje
- The Recitation for the Gradual Path of the Preliminaries from The Exceedingly Secret, Enlightened Heart-Essence of the Ḍākinī by Do Khyentse Yeshe Dorje
This liturgy for the preliminary practices, or ngöndro (sngon 'gro), of Do Khyentse's terma revelation Yangsang Khandrö Tuktik, 'The Exceedingly Secret, Enlightened Heart-Essence of the Ḍākinī', includes the common, outer practices of contemplation and the main, inner preliminaries of taking refuge, generating bodhicitta, offering the maṇḍala, purifying obscurations through Vajrasattva, and guru yoga.
- The Truthful Words of a Sage: An Aspiration Prayer from the Exceedingly Secret, Enlightened Heart-Essence of the Ḍākinī by Do Khyentse Yeshe Dorje
This aspiration prayer forms the conclusion of The Exceedingly Secret, Enlightened Heart-Essence (yang gsang mkha' 'gro'i thugs thig) revelation and thus is said to be the words of Pema Tötrengtsel (Mighty Lotus Skull-Garland, i.e., Padmasambhava) himself.
This revealed treasure text (gter ma), included in the Könchok Chidü (dkon mchog spyi 'dus), contains prophecies about future degenerate times and is purportedly the first guidebook to the hidden land of Pemakö (here spelt Pemokö).
Khenpo Tsöndrü's brief biography of his own teacher Khenchen Abu Lhagang (1879–1955), alias Pema Tekchok Loden, tells how he studied under some of the most illustrious masters of his day before serving as khenpo for eight years at the famed monastic college of Dzogchen Śrī Siṃha and then retiring to a nearby cave in order to focus on meditative practice.
Lelung Shepé Dorje
A prayer to take rebirth in the hidden sanctuary of Pemako (pad+mo bkod), where obstacles such as sickness and conflict are scarce or nonexistent and favourable conditions may aid progress on the Dharma path.
This aspirational prayer, composed at the request of Trinlé Losal, calls upon all the ḍākinīs of the three worlds to grant their blessings, so that the practitioner may complete the vajrayāna path and bring benefit to all beings.
Minling Terchen Gyurme Dorje
- The Brilliant Essence: The Ritual Manual for the Secret Embodiment of the Guru (Lama Sangdü) by Minling Terchen Gyurme Dorje
Gyurme Dorje compiled this ritual manual (las byang) for the Secret Embodiment of the Guru (bla ma gsang 'dus) revelation of Guru Chökyi Wangchuk (1212–1270) in order to facilitate elaborate offering practice on each tenth day of the lunar month at Mindrolling Monastery.