Long Life and Swift Rebirth Prayers
Thangka of the Three Deities of Long Life (tshe lha rnam gsum) from the private collection of Sogyal Rinpoche
A selection of prayers for longevity (zhabs brtan) arranged by subject:
- Youthfulness Gained in Vajra-like Immortality: Verses of Truth for the Long Life of the Perfect Masters by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
The author mentions that he wrote this general long-life prayer with teachers such as the Karmapa and Shamarpa particularly in mind, and that he was instructed to compose a practice incorporating both Guru Padmasambhava and Vajrakīlaya—although several other long-life deities are also invoked, including Tārā.
- The Indestructible Vajra Garland, An Aspiration Prayer for the Lives of the Supreme Holders of the Non-Sectarian Teachings by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Kongtrul wrote this prayer while at the site of Yamalung, sacred for its connection with Guru Padmasambhava. In a series of verses aspiring for the longevity of all non-sectarian teachers, he offers not only a powerful practice text, but also a concise statement of his celebrated Rimé ideals.
These verses in which the guru's body, speech and mind are related to the three kāyas—nirmāṇakāya, sambhogakāya and dharmakāya—constitute a brief prayer for longevity, or 'stable abiding' (brtan bzhugs), which can be recited to support the long life of any teacher.
Alak Zenkar Rinpoche
Fourteenth Dalai Lama
- The Melody of The Nectar of Immortality: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, Supreme Victor and Omniscient One by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
- The Music of Immortality: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Khandro Tsering Chödrön
- Cymbals to Invoke a Compassionate Response: A Prayer for Swift Rebirth of Khandro Tsering Chödrön by Sakya Trizin
Mayum Tsering Wangmo
This prayer for the long life of Sogyal Rinpoche was composed in 1995 in Maratika Cave, Nepal. At that time, Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche had completed a retreat focused on longevity and gave a long-life empowerment to Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche, Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche and Sogyal Rinpoche.