Translations by Gyurme Avertin
Gyurme Avertin began his study of the Tibetan language in 1997. He spent two years following the Tibetan program at Langues’O University in Paris, then studied at the Rangjung Yeshe Institute in Nepal and the Dzongsar shedra in India. He is the translator of The Gathering of Vidyadharas: Text and Commentaries on the Rigdzin Düpa (Snow Lion, 2017) and the editor-in-chief of ALL–OTR, an online collection of translated teachings from Orgyen Tobgyal Rinpoche.
Texts translated into English by Gyurme Avertin
Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
- Jewels of Many Colours: Ordinary Fire Pūjas for the Four Activities Based on a Single Substance to Easily Conclude Approach and Accomplishment by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamgön Kongtrul composed this simple fire offering (me mchod) ritual for each of the four activities—pacifying, enriching, magnetizing and subjugating—because he could not find anything similar. It is included within his Treasury of Revelations (rin chen gter mdzod).
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
- A Short Story of the Life and Liberation of Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö wrote this brief autobiography as a supplement to the collected biographies of lineage masters for the Chöd (gcod) practice known as The Whispered Transmission of Machik's Secret Conduct (ma gcig gsang spyod snyan brgyud) or The Whispered Transmission of Thangtong Gyalpo (thang stong snyan brgyud).
- The Sweet Ambrosia of Immortality: Concise Instructions on the Generation and Completion Phases of the Single-Form Daily Practice of the Heart Essence of the Sublime Lady of Immortality by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö wrote these detailed instructions on how to practise the short 'single form' daily sādhana of Chimé Pakmé Nyingtik based on teachings he received from Katok Situ Chökyi Gyatso, who, in turn, received them from Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, the revealer of the practice, himself.
Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- A Shortcut to the Siddhi of Immortality: Guru Yoga of Union with the Three Deities of Long Life by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- Activities for Uncovering Primordial Wisdom from the Chimé Pakmé Nyingtik, ‘The Heart Essence of the Sublime Lady of Immortality’ by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
The longer sādhana of The Heart Essence of the Sublime Lady of Immortality, or Chimé Pakmé Nyingtik ('chi med 'phags ma'i snying thig), the popular long-life practice of Tāra in union with the Lord of the Dance, which Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo discovered as a mind treasure in 1855.
Jigdral Tutop Lingpa
- A Powerful Pith Instruction to Abstain from Tobacco, the Tenacious Demon Plaguing People of Degenerate Times revealed by Jigdral Tutop Lingpa
This text from the terma cycle known as The Ocean of the Profound Essence (zab tig rgya mtsho) relates the mythical origins of tobacco and warns readers against its use, noting how it incites destructive emotions and ultimately leads to rebirth in hell.
Nyala Pema Dündul
In this brief song Nyala Pema Dündul advises his audience how to give up the eight ordinary concerns, or 'worldly dharmas' ('jig rten chos brgyad), i.e., hope for happiness and fear of suffering; hope for fame and fear of insignificance; hope for praise and fear of blame; hope for gain and fear of loss.
- A Brief Practice for Paying Homage and Making Offerings to the Buddha together with his retinue of Arhats by Śākyaśrībhadra
Tertön Mingyur Dorje
Sometimes classified as a Sukhāvatī aspiration (bde smon), this well-known prayer for the dedication of virtue (dge ba bsngo ba) is attributed to Buddha Amitābha, who spoke to Tulku Mingyur Dorje in a vision in 1657.