Practices › Empowerment
Courtesy of Himalayan Art Resources
Various writings on the subject of empowerment or initiation (abhiṣeka; dbang bskur), including rites for conferment (dbang chog):
- Shower of Indestructible Splendour: A Self-Initiation for the Guru Practice of the Vidyādhara Assembly, from the Heart-Essence of the Vast Expanse by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche wrote this self-initiation (bdag 'jug) for the Vidyādhara Assembly (Rigdzin Düpa) when he presided over a group practice (tshogs sgrub) in Bhutan and the need for such a text became clear. The practice of self-initiation, he says, "restores the power of the four empowerments, heals impairments and breakages of enlightened body, speech and mind, and offers a training in maturing through self-entry to the maṇḍala."
- The Cascading Essence of Great Bliss: An Empowerment Ritual for the Female Practice of the Queen of Great Bliss, from the Heart Essence of the Vast Expanse by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamgön Kongtrul compiled this empowerment text for Yumka Dechen Gyalmo on the basis of the original treasure revelation, Blessing and Empowerment for the Female Practice. The result is "clear yet concise," as Kongtrul himself put it, and less elaborate than the later arrangement by Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima (1865–1926).
- A Ritual of Blessing and Empowerment for the Female Practice, from the Heart Essence of the Vast Expanse by Jigme Lingpa
This source text of the Yumka Dechen Gyalmo empowerment, part of the original treasure revelation of Longchen Nyingtik, served as the basis for later, more elaborate manuals composed by Jamgön Kongtrul and the Third Dodrupchen, Jigme Tenpe Nyima.
- Illuminating the Meaning of Empowerment: A Self-Initiation for the Female Practice of the Ḍākinī by Jigme Lingpa
This self-initiation (bdag 'jug) for the practice of Yumka Dechen Gyalmo was composed by Jigme Lingpa himself. Receiving empowerments in this way, he explains, is a means of purifying impairments and breakages of samaya and receiving inspiration and blessings, and should therefore be practised regularly and repeatedly.
- The Root Empowerment of the Vase Conferring Majesty from the Heart-Essence of the Vast Expanse by Jigme Lingpa