Translations by Oriane Lavolé
Oriane Lavolé is a PhD candidate in Religious Studies at Stanford University, and a translator and interpreter of Tibetan Buddhist texts and teachings from Tibetan to English. Oriane is part of Samye Translations (formerly Lhasey Lotsawa Translations) and occasionally translates for 84,000 and the Khyentse Vision project.
Texts translated into English by Oriane Lavolé
Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
This prayer invoking the blessing of the buddhas, bodhisattvas and accomplished practitioners (vidyādharas) of Tibet is taken from the compilation A Shower of Precious Blessings: A Garland of Supplications to Guru Rinpoche, Embodiment of All Refuge Objects, and to the Three Roots and Lineage Masters.
- Advice on Nonsectarianism (from Radiant Sunlight of the Victorious Ones' Teachings: A Brief, First-Hand Account of the Liberating Life-Story of the Great Emanated Treasure Revealer) by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
In an address to disciples, Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa sets out a vision of nonsectarianism, in which he emphasizes the commonality of traditions and decries the divisiveness that periodically plagues Tibet and constitutes an act of forsaking the Dharma.
- Melody to Delight the Fortunate: A Brief History of the Treasure Revelations of the Awakened Emanation, the Great Tertön Chokgyur Lingpa by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
- Radiant Sunlight of the Victors’ Teachings: A Brief, First-Hand Account of the Liberating Life-Story of the Great Emanated Treasure Revealer by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
This short autobiography, composed in verse, covers the main events in the great treasure-revealer’s life from 1829, the year of his birth, until 1865, which was five years before he passed away at the age of 42.
- The Concise Cleansing Offering from The Guru’s Heart Practice: Dispelling All Obstacles on the Path by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa revealed this concise smoke offering practice (bsang mchod) as part of the famous cycle known as The Guru's Heart Practice: Dispelling All Obstacles on the Path (bla ma'i thugs sgrub bar chad kun sel).
- The Concise Manual for Daily Practice from The Guru’s Heart Practice, Dispeller of All Obstacles by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
Chokgyur Lingpa revealed The Guru’s Heart Practice, Dispeller of All Obstacles (bla ma'i thugs sgrub bar chad kun sel) on the tenth day of the ninth month in the Earth Monkey year (1848). This concise daily sādhana represents the briefest means of practising the cycle.
- The Guru Yoga of Blessings from the Seven Pith Instructions of Distilled Awakened Wisdom by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
On the tenth day of the Monkey month in the Fire Dragon year (12 July 1856) at Yegyel Namkha Dzö, Chokgyur Lingpa revealed The Guru Yoga of Blessings (byin rlabs bla ma'i rnal 'byor), a practice that Guru Padmasambhava is said to have entrusted to Prince Murup Tsenpo.
- The Wish-Fulfilling Tree: The Life Story of the Master of Uḍḍiyāna as found in Padmasambhava’s Sevenfold Cycle of Profundity by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
This concise biography of the eighth-century master from Uḍḍīyana, Guru Padmasambhava, who established Buddhism in Tibet, was revealed in 1856 by the great treasure-revealer Chokgyur Lingpa as part of the Sevenfold Cycle of Profundity (zab pa skor bdun). The text consists of ten short chapters, each related to a different aspect of the master’s life and activities.
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
- Calling the Guru From Afar: A Prayer to Pierce the Heart with Devotion by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
This popular song of devotion composed by the celebrated Rimé (ecumenical) master Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Tayé has two parts: the first an invocation of the great holders of various lineages, and the second a declaration of one's own faults and a request for the guru's aid in overcoming them and attaining realization.
- Splendid Treasure of Twofold Accomplishment: The Lineage Prayer for The Guru’s Heart Practice, Wish-Fulfilling Jewel by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- The Breeze That Carries the Auspicious Melody: Replies to Questions Arising from the Life Story of the Great Treasure-Revealer, Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
This commentary to Jamgön Kongtrul’s biographical prayer to Chokgyur Lingpa, The Melody of the Auspicious Spiralled Conch, discusses the great tertön's life and legacy, celebrating, in particular, his terma revelations and accomplishments.
Karme Khenpo Rinchen Dargye
- Gathering the Siddhis of Fortune: A Fulfilment Practice for Lama Norlha by Karme Khenpo Rinchen Dargye
- The Heart of the Matter: A Lineage Prayer for the Excellent Vase of Jewels Wealth Practice by Karme Khenpo Rinchen Dargye
Khenchen Ngawang Palzang
- Precious Pointing-Out Instruction Given by Gyalwa Longchenpa in a Pure Vision by Khenchen Ngawang Palzang
A simple feast-offering liturgy to facilitate the accumulation of tsok offerings by means of The Wish-Fulfilling Jewel Guru Heart-Practice, Spontaneous Fulfillment of Wishes (bla ma’i thugs sgrub yid bzhin nor bu bsam pa lhun grub ma).
Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche
- A Concise Guru Sādhana of My Sublime Father, Karma Urgyen Tsewang Chokdrup Pelbar by Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche
- The Concise Excellent Vase of Jewels: A Wealth Practice of Kyechok Tsülzang arranged by Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche
This practice invokes Lama Norlha as Kyechok Tsülzang (skyes mchog tshul bzang), the third of Guru Padmasambhava’s twelve emanations according to the Tukdrup Barché Kunsel (thugs sgrub bar chad kun sel) maṇḍala. Jamgön Kongtrul created a sādhana from Chokgyur Lingpa's original revelation, which Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche here abbreviates and, in places, augments.