Practices › Longevity
Courtesy of Himalayan Art Resources
Texts on the theme of longevity, including ritual practices to accomplish long life (tshe sgrub):
The Aparimitāyurjñāna-nāma mahāyāna-sūtra ('phags pa tshe dang ye shes dpag tu med pa zhes bya ba theg pa chen po'i mdo, Toh 674) is said to bring extraordinary merit and longevity when written out, read aloud, copied, or venerated with offerings.
- A Shortcut to the Siddhi of Immortality: Guru Yoga of Union with the Three Deities of Long Life by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- The New Glorious Bestower of Immortality: A Long-Life Practice and Empowerment that Unites the Oral, Treasure and Visionary Teachings by Chöje Lingpa
This long-life practice (tshe sgrub) and empowerment (tshe dbang) of Thangtong Gyalpo (1361–1485?) is said to bring together the oral, treasure and visionary teachings. It combines Thangtong Gyalpo's original Glorious Bestower of Immortality ('chi med dpal ster) with Chöjé Lingpa's own treasure revelation and visionary account.
- The Sādhana and Empowerment for the Extremely Close Lineage of the Long-Life Practice that Unites the Oral, Treasure and Visionary Teachings by Chöje Lingpa
This pith instruction for accomplishing longevity (tshe sgrub) through Thangtong Gyalpo (1361–1485?) is said to bring together the oral, treasure and visionary teachings. According to its colophon, Chöjé Lingpa received the instruction from Thangtong Gyalpo directly in a vision. Jamgön Kongtrul included the text in the Precious Treasury of Revelations (Rinchen Terdzö).
- Words of Advice on Accomplishing Immortality: An Extremely Concise Daily Practice Uniting the Short Lineages of Amitāyus and Hayagrīva by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
This concise instruction for accomplishing longevity (tshe sgrub) is said to be an abridgement of Thangtong Gyalpo's (1361–1485?) original sādhana. According to the colophon, Khyentse Wangpo composed the practice in a meditation cave used by Thangtong Gyalpo himself.
- The Vase of Immortal Life: The Long-Life Practice of the Vidyādharas, from the Heart Essence of the Vast Expanse by Jigme Lingpa
This longevity practice related to Rigdzin Düpa (The Vidyādhara Assembly) includes a means of attaining immortality through Amitāyus and a summoning of longevity (tshe 'gugs) that invokes the eight vidyādharas.
This short longevity practice involves the visualization of concentrated elixir, which flows from the long-life vase in Amitāyus's lap into the crown of one's head, filling one's body and restoring vitality. Mipham Rinpoche wrote the text in 1892, and it is also included (with some additions) among the writings of Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö.
A short 'means of recitation' (bklag thabs), providing additional prayers and practices to be chanted before and after the root text of the Sūtra of Boundless Life and Wisdom (tshe dang ye shes dpag tu med pa’i mdo).
- The Sublime Path to Immortality: The Quintessence of Profoundly Secret Pith Instructions on Attaining Vajra Longevity by Dudjom Rinpoche