Long Life Prayers
Courtesy of Terton Sogyal Trust
A selection of prayers for longevity (zhabs brtan), first more general ones, then those for specific individuals (arranged alphabetically by subject):
- Youthfulness Gained in Vajra-like Immortality: Verses of Truth for the Long Life of the Perfect Masters by Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
The author mentions that he wrote this general long-life prayer with teachers such as the Karmapa and Shamarpa particularly in mind, and that he was instructed to compose a practice incorporating both Guru Padmasambhava and Vajrakīla—although several other long-life deities are also invoked, including Tārā.
- The Indestructible Vajra Garland, An Aspiration Prayer for the Lives of the Supreme Holders of the Non-Sectarian Teachings by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Kongtrul wrote this prayer while at the site of Yamalung, sacred for its connection with Guru Padmasambhava. In a series of verses aspiring for the longevity of all non-sectarian teachers, he offers not only a powerful practice text, but also a concise statement of his celebrated Rimé ideals.
These verses in which the guru's body, speech and mind are related to the three kāyas—nirmāṇakāya, sambhogakāya and dharmakāya—constitute a brief prayer for longevity, or 'stable abiding' (brtan bzhugs), which can be recited to support the long life of any teacher.
This general prayer for the long life of the holders of the teachings was composed by Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche in 1888. It is part of the daily liturgy at the Nyingma Monlam Chenmo, or great prayer festival, held every year in Bodhgaya.
Alak Zenkar Rinpoche
- Prayer for the Long Life of Alak Zenkar Rinpoche, the Incarnation of Do Khyentsé Yeshé Dorjé by Katok Rigdzin Chenpo
- Prayer for the Long Life of Alak Zenkar Rinpoche, the Incarnation of Do Khyentsé Yeshé Dorjé by Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche
Ḍākinī Muntso Rinpoche
- The Great Treasure of a Hundred Blessings: A Prayer for the Long Life of Ḍākinī Muntso Rinpoche by Fourteenth Dalai Lama
Dilgo Khyentse Yangsi Rinpoche
- Prayer for the Long Life of Dilgo Khyentsé II of Shechen, Urgyen Tenzin Jigme Lhundrup by Trulshik Rinpoche
Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche wrote this prayer for the longevity of Urgyen Tenzin Jigme Lhundrup (b. 1993), the incarnation of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche (1910–1991), at the sacred Māratika cave in Nepal on Friday, 29 December 1995.
This eight-line prayer for the longevity of the Seventh Dzogchen Rinpoches interweaves syllables from the name of his predecessor, Pema Rigdzin who was the first Dzogchen Rinpoche, and from his own name, Tendzin Jikdral Lhunpo.
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche
Fourteenth Dalai Lama
- The Magical Wish-Fulfilling Tree: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
- The Melody of The Nectar of Immortality: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, Supreme Victor and Omniscient One by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
- The Music of Immortality: A Prayer for the Long Life of His Holiness the Dalai Lama by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Khandro Tāre Lhamo
Khandro Tsering Chödrön
Jamyang Khyentse composed this prayer entitled 'Removing Obstacles in the Life of the Ḍākinī' (ḍā ki'i sku tshe'i 'phrang bzlog) for the longevity of his consort Khandro Tsering Chödrön (Āyu Dharma Dīpam) at the request of Parkö Chöpel, a carver of printing blocks at Dzongsar.
Khyenrab Chökyi Özer
Lodi Gyari Rinpoche
Mayum Tsering Wangmo
Minling Chung Rinpoche
- The Drum of Deathlessness: A Prayer for the Long Life of Minling Chung Rinpoche by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
Orgyen Tobgyal Rinpoche
As he explains in the colophon, Orgyen Tobgyal Rinpoche wrote this short prayer himself for recital during group rituals, in place of the more laudatory, effusive prayers composed by some of his teachers.
Sakya Dagchen and Son
Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche composed this four-line prayer for the longevity of the Seventh Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche, Jikmé Chökyi Senge (b. 1966), by adapting the words of a prayer by Shechen Gyaltsab Rinpoche, Pema Namgyal (1871–1926).
This prayer for the long life of Sogyal Rinpoche was composed in 1995 in Māratika Cave, Nepal. At that time, Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche had completed a retreat focused on longevity and gave a long-life empowerment to Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche, Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche and Sogyal Rinpoche.
Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche
Tulku Thondup Rinpoche
- Prayer for the Long Life of Tulku Thondup Rinpoche by Gyalse Möndrup Dorje