Swift Rebirth Prayers
Practices › Swift Rebirth Prayers
Courtesy of Himalayan Art Resources
A selection of prayers for the swift rebirth (myur byon gsol ’debs) of prominent individuals (arranged alphabetically by subject):
Dampa Rinpoche Ngawang Lodrö Nyingpo
- The Moonlight of Auspiciousness: Prayer for the Swift Return of the Supreme Tulku by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Fifth Dzogchen Rinpoche
- The Swift Fulfilment of Wishes: A Prayer for the Swift Return of the Supreme Tulku of the Fifth Drubwang Dzogchen Rinpoche by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Fourth Dodrupchen Rinpoche
- Prayer for Swift Rebirth of the Fourth Dodrupchen Rinpoche, Tupten Trinlé Palzangpo by Fifth Dodrupchen Rinpoche
Nuptul Tenpei Nyima put together these two verses—the first by Dodrupchen Rinpoche himself and the second adapted from a long-life prayer by Dudjom Rinpoche (1904–1987)—to create a prayer for his root guru's swift return.
A two-verse prayer for the swift reincarnation of the Fourth Dodrupchen Rinpoche (1927–2022), which Rabjam Rinpoche wrote by adapting the words of a prayer previously composed by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
Getse Gyurme Tenpa Namgyal
Gyurme Tsewang Gyatso
- The Moonlight of Auspiciousness: A Yearning Prayer to the Noble and Glorious Guru Combined with an Aspiration for His Swift Return by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Loter Wangpo composed two stanzas and added them to the standard four-line prayer to Jamgön Kongtrul as soon as Kongtrul passed away (at the very end of the nineteenth century) in order to create this three-verse prayer for swift rebirth.
Jamyang Khyenrab Tayé
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
Jamyang Loter Wangpo
- Wondrous Light of the Moon: A Prayer for the Swift Appearance of the Supreme Tulku of Vajradhara by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Katok Situ Chökyi Gyatso
- The Fulfilment of Hopes and Wishes: A Prayer for the Swift Rebirth of the Three Supreme Guides, Protectors of this World by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
This prayer for the swift rebirth of the three masters Katok Situ Orgyen Chökyi Gyatso (1880–1925), Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpai Nyima (1865–1926) and Shechen Gyaltsab Gyurme Pema Namgyal (1871–1926) was most likely composed in March 1927.
- The Swift Fulfilment of Wishes: Prayer for the Swift Appearance of the Supreme Tulku of the Mañjughoṣa Guru by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Khandro Tsering Chödrön
- Cymbals to Invoke a Compassionate Response: A Prayer for Swift Rebirth of Khandro Tsering Chödrön by Sakya Trichen
Ngawang Samten Lodrö
- The Swift Infusion of Blessings: A Lament and Prayer to Invoke the Wisdom Mind of Khenchen Vāgindra on the Occasion of His Passing into the Great Peace of the Dharmadhātu by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Alak Zenkar Rinpoche composed this prayer for the swift rebirth of his close friend and teacher, Pewar Rinpoche (1933–2022), in Hong Kong on 7 October 2022. The verses incorporate the syllables of Pewar Rinpoche's several names: Chimé Dorje, Jamyang Tupten Lungtok Gyatso, Kunga Sonam Rabgye, and Jamyang Sonam Lekpai Wangpo.
Tenpai Nyima Rinpoche
Thirteenth Dalai Lama
- The Tambura of Devotion: A Prayer for the Swift Appearance of the Supreme Tulku of the All-Seeing Conqueror and Cardinal Guardian of the Land of Snows by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
This three-verse prayer for the swift reincarnation of Kyabje Thrangu Rinpoche (1933–2023) was composed at the request of Thrangu Tashi Choling Monastery (acting on behalf of all Thrangu monasteries, nunneries and dharma centres).
Tsikey Chokling Rinpoche
- Verses of Aspiration for the Swift Return of Tsikey Chokling Mingyur Dewey Dorjé by Fourteenth Dalai Lama