Biographical Prayers Series
Literary Genres › Biography › Biographical Prayers
Courtesy of Dzongsar Monastery
A series of biographical prayers or supplications (rnam thar gsol 'debs) arranged by subject:
Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa
- The Melody of the Auspicious Spiralled Conch: A Prayer Based on the Liberation Life of the Great Emanated Tertön Chokgyur Lingpa by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamgön Kongtrul’s biographical prayer to Chokgyur Dechen Lingpa (1829–1870) details the master's life and legacy, especially his terma revelations and accomplishments. The text is included within the Rinchen Terdzö collection.
- The Hook Which Invokes the Blessings: A Supplication to the Life and Liberation of Rigdzin Jalü Dorje by Do Khyentse Yeshe Dorje
- The Prayer of the Tenth Days in Guru Rinpoche’s Life Story entitled ‘The Nucleus of Blessings’ by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamgön Kongtrul wrote this biographical prayer (rnam thar gsol 'debs) to Guru Padmasambhava at the request of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo. It focuses on the deeds the Precious Guru is said to have performed on the tenth day of each month, when he is commemorated by his followers.
- A Beautiful and Wondrous Udumbara Garland: A Supplication and Summary of the Chronicles of Padma, The Life and Liberation of the Precious Guru of Uḍḍiyāna by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
This prayer beautifully summarizes the Padma Kathang (The Chronicles of Padma), one of the most famous and influential of Guru Padmasambhava's many biographies. It reveals how Guru Rinpoche manifests in an infinite variety of forms in order to protect and spread the Buddhadharma.
- A Prayer Recalling the Life and Liberation of the Precious Master Padmasambhava by Nyangral Nyima Özer
This prayer in 26 verses recounts the major events of the life of Guru Padmasambhava, from his miraculous birth upon a lotus to his final departure from Tibet for the land of the rakṣasas. Upon recollecting each stage or episode in the Guru's life, the reader requests empowerment and blessings.
- Cloud Banks of Blessings: A Prayer Recounting the Eleven Deeds of the Life and Liberation of the Guru from Uḍḍiyāna by Ratna Lingpa
A prayer to Guru Rinpoche recounting eleven significant deeds in his life: 1) forming the enlightened intention to tame beings, 2) descending into the lotus flower, 3) spontaneously taking birth, 4) enjoying the pleasures of a prince, 5) taking ordination, 6) practicing various austerities, 7) overcoming Māra's hosts, 8) attaining complete awakening, 9) turning the wheel of the Dharma, 10) engaging in yogic disciplines, and 11) hiding terma treasures to spread the Dharma far and wide.
- The Melodious Speech of Samantabhadra: A Prayer to the Glorious Master Jamgön Kongtrul Thaye by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
This prayer to Jamgön Kongtrul was composed by the master himself at the request of one of his disciples. It contains references to his life and the qualities he considers important, such as—to adopt the words of the text—the pure perception, with which he upheld all Buddha's teachings impartially.
Jamyang Khyenrab Tayé
- The Fresh Utpala: A Prayer to the Great Learned Teacher and Vajra-Holder Jamyang Khyenrab Tayé by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
This prayer is the only known source for key biographical information about Jamyang Khyenrab Tayé (1862–1937), a master from whom Jamyang Khyentse received the Kālacakra empowerment and other teachings.
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
- The Quintessence of Marvellous Nectar: A Prayer Based on the Liberational Life of the Gentle Protector Guru by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- The Melodious Sound of Gathering Auspiciousness: A Prayer Based on the Liberational Life of the Omniscient Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamgön Kongtrul composed this biographical prayer (rnam thar gsol 'debs) to Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo by extracting verses from a longer prayer to the masters of the Shangpa Kagyü lineage. For this edition, which is found in the Rinchen Terdzö, Jamyang Khyense Chökyi Lodrö composed three additional verses that refer to Khyentse Wangpo's parinirvāṇa and rebirth.
- A Short Prayer Based on the Life and Liberation of the All-Knowing, All-Seeing Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo by Katok Situ Chökyi Gyatso
This short biographical prayer (rnam thar gsol 'debs) to Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo (1820–1892) is drawn from the collection of texts known as The Whispered Transmission of Thangtong Gyalpo (thang stong snyan brgyud).
- A Prayer Recalling the Life and Liberation of the Great Perfection Adept Rangjung Dorje (‘Naturally Arisen Vajra’), Jigme Lingpa by Jigme Lingpa
Jigme Lingpa wrote this prayer recalling his own life and liberation at the request of the First Dodrupchen, Jigme Trinlé Özer (1745–1821). The prayer includes a summary of his previous lives, as well as his most important accomplishments and qualities, when—as he puts it—he emphasized the positive.
- A Prayer Recounting the Lives and Liberation of the Exalted Ḍākinī Mandāravā revealed by Samten Lingpa
This prayer recalling the accomplishments of Jamgön Mipham Rinpoche, written by the master himself, was later supplemented by additional verses composed by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö at the behest of Khenpo Kunpal (1862–1943).
- Gateway for the Faithful: A Supplication Recalling the Lives and Liberation of Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche, Ngawang Chökyi Lodrö by Trulshik Rinpoche
- The Tambura’s Yearning Song of Devotion: A Prayer Summarizing Khandro Yeshe Tsogyal’s Life and Liberation by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye composed this beautiful prayer summarizing Samten Lingpa’s famous terma biography of Khandro Yeshe Tsogyal in 1893 at the request of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo and the yoginī Doshul Khandro.