Calling the Guru from Afar
Practices › Calling the Guru from Afar
Courtesy of Himalayan Art Resources
Devotional texts belonging to the genre of Calling the Guru from Afar (bla ma rgyang 'bod):
In this song of yearning devotion, or prayer of 'calling the guru from afar' (bla ma rgyang 'bod), the late Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche offers his followers some profound advice related to "the swift path of the luminous Great Perfection."
- The Excellent Path of Supreme Great Bliss: A Prayer for Calling the Guru from Afar by Chatral Rinpoche
- Nectar Shower of Blessings: A Song of Yearning Devotion Recalling the Everpresent Gurus by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche wrote this song of "calling the guru from afar" (bla ma rgyang 'bod) to accompany the guru yoga ("A Rang Rig Ma Chö…") he had previously composed. It is an invocation of Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö, Khandro Tsering Chödrön and Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche himself.
- Calling the Guru From Afar: A Prayer to Pierce the Heart with Devotion by Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Thaye
This popular song of devotion composed by the celebrated Rimé (ecumenical) master Jamgön Kongtrul Lodrö Tayé has two parts: the first an invocation of the great holders of various lineages, and the second a declaration of one's own faults and a request for the guru's aid in overcoming them and attaining realization.
- An Envoy for Swiftly Invoking the Blessings of Definitive Meaning: Calling the Great Omniscient Jonangpa from Afar by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
One of several texts which Jamyang Khyentse wrote to express his devotion for Dolpopa Sherab Gyaltsen (1292–1361), this prayer of calling the guru from afar opens with a single-line invocation of unusual length.
Composed in Darjeeling (most likely in 1958), this short invocation of Rigdzin Jigme Lingpa (1730–1798) calls upon the famed Dzogchen master and treasure-revealer by his various names and invokes his blessings and inspiration.
- Dispelling the Anguish of Existence and Quiescence: A Prayer of Calling the Guru from Afar by Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
This long prayer of calling the guru from afar (bla ma rgyang 'bod), which Jamyang Khyentse composed at the request of Khandro Tsering Chödrön (1929–2011), is a heartfelt appeal for the guru's assistance and guidance in turning one's mind towards the Dharma and following the path to awakening for others' sake.
- Luminous Clouds of Spontaneous Song: A Prayer to Call the Guru from Afar by Nyoshul Khenpo Jamyang Dorje
Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche wrote this song of "calling the guru from afar" (bla ma rgyang 'bod) to accompany the Ultimate Guru Sādhana of Simplicity (spros med don gyi bla sgrub) composed by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (1920–1996).
Rabjam Rinpoche composed this devotional song of calling the guru from afar (bla ma rgyang 'bod) during ceremonies held to mark the thirtieth anniversary of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche's passing into parinirvāṇa