Translations by Sean Price
Courtesy of Tsadra Foundation
Sean Price (Gelong Tenzin Jamchen) is the Director of Tibetan Publications for the Tsadra Foundation. As a translator, he has published The Supreme Siddhi of Mahamudra: Teachings, Poems, and Songs of the Drukpa Kagyu Lineage (Snow Lion Publications, 2017) and The Emanated Scripture of Manjushri: Shabkar's Essential Meditation Instructions (Snow Lion Publications, 2019).
Texts translated into English by Sean Price (Tenzin Jamchen)
Adzom Gyalse Gyurme Dorje
Alak Zenkar Pema Ngödrup Rolwe Dorje
Chöying Tobden Dorje
Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
- Concise Offering of the Body from the Root Text of the Heart Accomplishment of the Guru Tukdrup, The Essential Manual of Oral Instructions (Shaldam Nyingjang) by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
A simple practice of Chöd ('severance') extracted from the Essential Manual of Oral Instructions (zhal gdams snying byang), which is part of the Chokling Tersar, and supplemented by verses of introduction and conclusion composed by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.
- Wisdom's Melody: An Aspiration to Realize Madhyamaka, Mahāmudrā, and Mahā Ati by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Written in Sikkim, this is an aspiration to realize the view of the Middle Way (Madhyamaka), the meditation of the Great Seal (Mahāmudrā), the conduct of single-taste, and the fruition of Dzogpachenpo, the Great Perfection.
Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima
- The Adamantine Magical Wheel—Invoking the profound pledge of the glorious Victor Padmākara to turn back the final war by Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima
This prayer of invocation, which was written by the Third Dodrupchen Rinpoche during a period of political unrest, calls upon Guru Padmasambhava to protect Tibetans from aggressors and the ravages of war. More recently, it was redistributed at the behest of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, who recognized its continued relevance amid the turmoil of the twentieth century.
Drikung Kyobpa Jikten Sumgön
Jigten Gönpo composed these seven verses of supplication following a visionary experience in which he saw seven different forms of Tārā. The prayer became known as the 'sevenfold refuge' (skyabs bdun ma), and is renowned for the extraordinary blessings it conveys.
Jamyang Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö
Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
- The Essence of Nectar: Graduated Stages of the Path — Advice for Renunciant Meditators by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
These verses of advice for renunicant meditators (spong ba bsam gtan pa) cover the entire Buddhist path, from instructions on following a spiritual friend through to the most advanced generation and perfection phase practices.
- Wisdom's Bestowal: A Way to Accumulate the Recitation of the Tantra 'Chanting the Names of Mañjuśrī' (Mañjuśrī Nāma Saṃgīti) by Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo
For this 'means of recitation' (bklag thabs), which provides additional prayers and practices to be said before and after the root text of Chanting the Names of Mañjuśrī (Mañjuśrī-nāma-saṃgīti; 'jam dpal mtshan brjod), Khyentse Wangpo relied upon and adapted the writings of the great Sakya patriarchs Jetsün Drakpa Gyaltsen and Sakya Paṇḍita.
Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok
- The Cintāmaṇi (Wish-Fulfilling Jewel) Instruction: A Sādhana of the Glorious Vajrasattva, a Method of Purification and Accomplishment for Both Self and Others by Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok
This short Vajrasattva sādhana, which incorporates the four powers as a means of purifying negative actions, obscurations and breakages of samaya, was composed spontaneously in April 1997. The translation also includes additional verses for refuge, bodhicitta, dedication and aspiration, as recited in Larung Gar.
- The Sun of Samantabhadra’s Realm: The Quintessence of Oceanic Prayers of Aspiration by Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok
Composed in Bodhgayā, this is a bodhisattva's aspiration to emulate the buddhas of the past, such as Śākyamuni, serve the remaining buddhas of this fortunate age, and lead all beings to awakening. The prayer was recorded and transcribed by Khenpo Sodargye.
Khenchen Tashi Özer
Khenpo Gangshar describes this pithy advice on how to be truly happy by settling into realization of mind's essential nature as "insane ramblings", but it will surely be of great benefit to practitioners.
- From the Mahāmudrā Preliminary Practices: Continuous Integration with Ground, Path, and Fruition by Khenpo Gangshar
Basic instructions on the preliminary contemplations of the rarity of the freedoms and opportunities, impermanence, karma and the sufferings of saṃsāra, followed by a simple explanation of the ground, path and fruition according to Mahāmudrā.
This short, unelaborate guru yoga is written from an absolute perspective, according to which clear, empty awareness is the very nature of the guru, and the practice is simply to remain in such a state.
Gangshar Wangpo tells us that he based these verses—which explain how to eliminate obstacles to practice and sustain realization of mind's essential nature—on scripture, the oral instructions of his guru, and his own experience.
- Vomiting Gold: A Pith Instruction in the Form of Advice for the Diligent Practitioner, the Excellent Atsang by Khenpo Gangshar
Könchok Tenpe Drönme
This visualization and mantra recitation for the Wrathful Guru in dark blue form and mounted upon a wild boar is extracted from the collection called Profound Fierce Mantras to Subdue All Infectious Disease (nad rims kun thub sngags rgod zab mo).
In this short text, the celebrated Dzogchen teacher Nyoshul Lungtok Tenpe Nyima offers a prayer to the root and lineage gurus and all the buddhas and bodhisattvas requesting their blessings and inspiration so that we might perfect the cultivation of bodhicitta in all its aspects.
- A Concise Meditation and Mantra Recitation of Sarasvatī from the Heart Essence of the Ḍākinī of Suchness (Chönyi Khandrö Tuktik) revealed by Sera Khandro
Seventh Dalai Lama
- Rain of Accomplishments: A Song that Incorporates the Four Mindfulnesses from an Instruction on the View of the Middle Way by Seventh Dalai Lama
This famous song summarizes four forms of mindfulness, which Mañjuśrī taught to Tsongkhapa: 1) mindfulness of the guru; 2) mindfulness of bodhicitta; 3) mindfulness of the body as a divine body; and 4) mindfulness of the view of emptiness.
Shabkar Tsokdruk Rangdrol
In this short song the famous yogi Shabkar Tsokdruk Rangdrol explains the essence of all practices, from the contemplations of the outer preliminaries to the practices of the inner preliminaries, and the main practices of the generation and perfection stages.
Shechen Gyaltsab Gyurme Pema Namgyal
Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche
- A Supplication for the Longevity of the Peerless and Sublime Tulku, Dzongsar Khyentse, Thupten Chökyi Gyatso by Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche
Rabjam Rinpoche adapted the text of 'A Short Remembrance of, and Supplication to My Master, the Wish-Fulfilling Jewel entitled, A Lament of Faith,' which was composed by Khenpo Chimé Rigdzin and addressed to Khenchen Jigme Phuntsok (1933–2004), in order to create this moving supplication to Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche (1910–1991).
- The Potent Nectar of Accomplishment: A Prayer and Supplication to the Vidyādhara Gurus of the Three Lineages by Shechen Rabjam Rinpoche
Rabjam Rinpoche composed this prayer and aspiration in October 2020, at the request of Ven. Lungrik Nyima, after completing the textual arrangements for several of Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche's mind treasures (dgongs gter).
Tenth Pawo Rinpoche
- The Method to Pacify All Epidemics, Illnesses and Pandemics from the Sixty Solitary Forms of Yamāntaka by Tertön Sogyal
The 54th of 60 texts in Tertön Sogyal's revelation connected with the 'solitary hero' (ekavīra) form of Yamāntaka, this is a special method for pacifying and healing contagious disease. It is among the rituals being performed by the monks of Larung Gar as a means to eliminate the coronavirus pandemic of 2020.
This prayer to alleviate the terrors of conflict was spoken by the great siddha Thangtong Gyalpo at a time when war ravaged Minyak in eastern Tibet. Such was the power of his words, it is said, the conflict instantly came to an end, and peace and prosperity reigned.
- The Verses that Saved Sakya from Sickness: A Prayer for Pacifying the Fear of Disease by Thangtong Gyalpo
- Gateway for the Faithful: A Supplication Recalling the Lives and Liberation of Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche, Ngawang Chökyi Lodrö by Trulshik Rinpoche
Kyabje Trulshik Rinpoche composed this simple guru yoga, which focuses upon himself, at the request of Khachö Tsering Palmo while he was bestowing the Nyingma Kama transmissions at Shechen Monastery in Nepal.